December to March are the warmest months of the year in New Zealand, with long, clear, sunny days and temperatures between 16°C and 24°C. It is the perfect time to visit the beautiful beaches or take advantage of the many outdoor activities, such as hiking, mountain biking, and more.
With its rugged beauty and diverse landscapes, New Zealand is a stunning place to visit at any point of the year. However, be prepared for a good bit of rain whenever you choose.
June to September are the coldest months, with snow in the South Island and some of the more mountainous areas in the North Island, which attract skiers from all over the world. The spring and autumn months are milder and have fewer visitors, but they are still delightful, with temperatures in the middle teens.
December To February – Summer Season
New Zealand summers are warm and inviting for a few reasons. First, the weather is ideal for outdoor activities, and the cities are packed with people. The atmosphere is alive and fun. February is NZ’s best weather month, and you’ll likely find cheaper accommodation.
- Temperature: January is one of the warmest months in New Zealand, with temperatures reaching up to 30°C. The average summer temperature in New Zealand is between 20°C and 25°C.
- Weather: For the inhabitants of New Zealand, these months, typically associated with winter and snow in the bulk of the world’s nations, are months full of sunshine. The longer days and the nights are shorter during these months since the sun can be seen for more than 12 hours each day.
- Why visit now: Visitors seeking to escape severe winters and spend Christmas swimming in a lake will find the warm weather and sunny climate ideal. The best thing about summer in New Zealand is having fresh kiwis while lounging about and soaking up the sun. The kiwis harvested in the summer are exceptionally juicy and have an unparalleled flavour. In the summer, New Zealand transforms into a warm paradise with breathtaking scenery and bright sunshine. The combination of the mountains, lush valleys, and clear streams creates a sight that is just beautiful to look upon. Additionally, the weather enhances the enjoyment of beachgoing, water sports, and other activities like paragliding, hiking, trekking, biking, and cycling. When nature is at its best, you can fully appreciate it and enjoy its beauty.
- Know before you visit: Tourists may find it a little challenging to see the country due to the heat and the pleasant air, but this weather also makes outdoor activities more fun. Additionally, it can get busy since it is the most active travel period.
- Significance: Many marathons, events, and triathlons are held in New Zealand in February, where visitors can participate to experience the local culture and learn more about the country. People travel to New Zealand specifically to compete in some of these marathons since they are well-known worldwide.
March To May – Autumn Season
- Temperature: These months’ typical temperatures range from 17 to 23 degrees Celsius.
- Weather: The climate is exceptionally mild since it is neither too chilly nor hot throughout these months. In New Zealand, these months mark the transition from the summer to the winter seasons. To signal the coming of winter in the months to come, all of the blossoms and leaves on the trees wither away.
- Why visit now: The warm and pleasant weather of these months makes it ideal for treks, mountain climbing, camping, biking, and other outdoor activities. The calm wind and warm sun make it pleasant for tourists to traverse the country without exhaustion. The beauty of nature and the climate combine to create an ideal time for visiting New Zealand. Visitors can observe the wildlife and spirit present in the country without having to worry about being overly sweaty or overheated due to the warm climate. It is also the perfect month for hiking in the surrounding mountain trails, as the temperature allows easy climbing without fatigue. As the snow has yet to accumulate, visitors can still take in the area’s panoramic views. The vibrant colours of nature are the most attractive feature of this season, with the red and orange foliage making a lasting impression. Fall is also considered one of the most popular seasons for cycling tours. Cycling through leafy parks and gardens provides an experience of serenity that is unparalleled elsewhere.
- Know before you visit: During these months, the temperature is not as warm as it is during summer. However, it is significantly more generous than the winter months, making this period one of the most enjoyable for visitors to New Zealand. As a result, it can be challenging to find accommodation during these months, and the area can become overcrowded with tourists.
June To August – Winter Season
- Temperature: In some regions, the temperature during these months might go as low as 5 degrees Celsius. In hilly and mountainous areas of New Zealand, the temperature may even drop below zero. However, the country experiences temperatures ranging from 7 to 13 degrees Celsius on average.
- Weather: Snowfalls and snow-related activities abound in New Zealand during these months. It is one of the most picturesque times of year in this nation because even when the mountains are completely covered with snow, they still appear lovely.
- Why visit now: The winter months are ideal for a ski holiday in New Zealand, as the mountain slopes are covered in snow and are safe to ski on. Additionally, the slopes are low and gentle, making them ideal for first-time skiers. When planning a visit during these months, it is recommended to partake in various activities related to the snow, such as skiing and snowboarding, sledging, and hiking in the snow. Heli-skiing and snowshoeing are also popular activities.
Winter hiking is an excellent option if you are looking for an exciting and adventurous activity to do during the winter months. The cold temperatures make it challenging to stay on the trail, but the serenity and solitude of the snowcapped mountains provide an opportunity to reconnect with one’s soul. Additionally, winter is the ideal time to go on a glacier tour, such as a trek on the Fox Glacier or a viewing from a helicopter. Activities such as sledging on glaciers are also available during these months.
- Significance: You can also visit Queenstown for the annual Winter Festival in June. This festival is held annually in Queenstown, New Zealand. The festival celebrates the start of winter, and all New Zealanders come together to welcome the season’s first snowfall. It’s a time of joy and celebration that everyone looks forward to. Being part of this festival with New Zealanders is one of the best cultural experiences.
September To November – Spring Season
- Temperature: The average temperature varies between 15 and 21 degrees Celsius and is always accompanied by a cold wind.
- Weather: The days are longer at this time of year than winter and sunshine. The warmth of the sun and the cool breeze create a feeling of comfort you can’t describe. These months see the beginning of summer. The sun begins to shine again, and the snow begins to melt at the start of this season. The trees begin to bloom, and you can see colour and greenery again in New Zealand.
- Why visit now: Spring is one of the most exciting times of the year in New Zealand. It is also one of the best times to go trekking. Like autumn, spring is an excellent time for trekking because you can cover much ground without getting too tired. Spring is also a great time to visit New Zealand. The spring bloom and lush green grass that cover the valleys and hills make New Zealand look even more beautiful and beautiful.
People living in New Zealand welcome the sun’s warmth as they sunbathe by the lakes. During these months, snow can be found on the mountaintops, and snow activities can be enjoyed only in select areas where the snow has yet to melt.
With the greenery back in New Zealand, it is the perfect time to explore the country’s small towns and cities. There are many things to do, from sightseeing to biking and walking.
During this time of year, visitors to New Zealand can take advantage of the pristine beaches and various open-water water activities, such as snorkelling, scuba diving, jet-skiing and parasailing. It is also the most popular season for visiting New Zealand, as visitors can enjoy beautiful weather and various exciting activities. This season requires less luggage, as there is no need to carry bulky winter clothing. A warm sweatshirt can be enough to combat the cold breeze. Temperatures range from 15°C to 21°C, with a cool breeze.
Hopefully, you have become a lot wiser about the best travel period for a tour. Do you now know when you want to go to New Zealand? Contact us here or you can apply for NZeTA online application. Let us put together a tailor-made tour for you.